GOTO 2019 • A Veterans Guide To Transitioning Android Teams Into Kotlin • G. Gilmour & E. Boyle48:25 333 views 100% Published 2 months ago
This presentation was recorded at GOTO Copenhagen 2019. #GOTOcon #GOTOcph
Garth Gilmour - Ireland's most experienced software trainer
Eamonn Boyle - Architect and Team Lead at Instil
Three years ago Instil made the strategic decision to transition all our Android teams from Java to Kotlin. Today we develop entirely in Kotlin for all JVM based projects, and are also exploring both Kotlin JS and Native. This talk will enable your developers to begin the same journey. We will be discussing:
• What motivated us to make the switch, and whether these benefits were truly actualised.
• How we incrementally converted existing applications and established guidelines for new projects.
• Best practices we uncovered for interoperating with Java code and wrapping existing libraries.
• Kotlin specific libraries and frameworks that we have adopted and benefitted from.
• Coroutines as an exemplar of where the language simplified our existing architectures.
• How we also benefit from using Kotlin in our build management and testing codebases.
• Improvements we are hoping to make in the future, based on new language features.
• Challenges we faced and things we would do differently were [...]
Download slides and read the full abstract here:
#Kotlin #Android #Mobile #Programming
Looking for a unique learning experience?
Attend the next GOTO Conference near you! Get your ticket at http://gotocon.com
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR CHANNEL - new videos posted almost daily.