Buying into Scala from the Inside and Out47:37 1188 views 100% Published 4 years ago
This video was recorded at Scala Days Berlin 2016
Follow us on Twitter @ScalaDays or visit our website for more information http://scaladays.org
Getting to grips with a new programming language can be daunting, especially if it requires learning a new discipline such as functional programming. In this talk, Sofia and Dave will provide a step-by-step guide to adopting and mastering Scala from two different perspectives: the graduate developer and the visiting consultant.
Sofia Cole is a developer at YOOX NET-A-PORTER GROUP with eigtheen months' experience working with Scala. Dave Gurnell is a consultant at Underscore with over a decade's experience writing functional code. Between them, they will walk you through their experiences at YOOX NET-A-PORTER GROUP migrating from a legacy Perl monolith to a Scala microservice architecture.
Topics covered will include:
* How to sell Scala within your organization.
* What benefits do managers and developers care about?
* A step-by-step guide for navigating the sea of Scala and FP concepts, without losing yourself in a monadic storm
* Shared joys and pains from different developers from disparate backgrounds, and how to reconcile them
* The tactical and targeted use of hack days, and functional programming workshops, including a step-by-step guide for running coding dojos
* A guide to pair programming from two different perspectives: peer-pairing and teacher-student pairing
This will be an entertaining and enlightening alternative take on the Scala adoption story. The speakers absolutely promise not to quarrel on-stage (unless the situation particularly demands it).